** Reply to message from "Rajko M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 25 Oct 2007
04:58:16 -0500

> On Wednesday 24 October 2007 01:32:21 pm Stan Goodman wrote:
> > To clarify: I understand that this is the only CD I need to run to upgrade
> > the OS proper, including KDE. I will run it in the usual way, as I did for
> > the first install of v10.2, and let it run until it asks me for CD2, at
> > which time the exercise is complete.

Since I wrote my message, I have found and read the openSuSE News Announcement
page, which has answered all the questions I asked you. You have added a good
bit of information and insight, however, and have also raised additional
questions.

> It will not ask you for the CD2 as there is no such thing in openSUSE 10.3.
> There is either KDE single CD or GNOME single CD, and DVD with both.
> The software that is not on CD or DVD is available online on FTP or HTTP
> servers.

Yes, I understand that now.

> Be aware that if installer of openSUSE 10.3 find working Internet connection
> it will attempt to download much more than it is present on CD. With slow
> Internet it can be very long download that can't be interrupted or
> installation will fail. I have no exact number but it can be between 2 and 3
> GB. To avoid that:

I would not have thought of that.

> 1- turn Internet off before installation,
> 2- save your data from openSUSE 10.2 (make backup)

I'll just back it up in toto. That will bring over my Documents, Java programs
and email data and my few other third party programs. Beyond that, I think only
the Knode logon data and the Firefox profile files need to be saved.

> 3- install openSUSE 10.3 (select New Installation)

Why? I was going to install over the existing v10.2, which would mean selecting
the Upgrade option. The single HD is entirely allocated. If there is a real
reason for installing separately, I'd add a second HD.

> * be aware that if you don't install on a new partition (some 10 GB, but more
> is better) it will format you existing partition and all data that are not
> saved will be lost

I am SO glad you told me this. What a mistake it was to install v10.2 in a
single monster partition!! I had wanted to install /home in a separate
partition in order to protect my own data and programs from this kind of
ambush; I was talked out of that by "experienced users", who argued that there
was no advantage to doing this.. As for installing v10.3. I now see the virtue
of a New Installation; I need to put in a separate HD to manage that.

> * installation runs in 2 phase with reboot after first phase to start new
> installed kernel. It is done when you see the message telling you that
> installation is complete and your newly installed system will be started
> (this time it will happen without reboot as new kernel is already running).
> 4- start YaST and configure network and Internet
> 5- run YOU (YaST Online Update) as there are already some patches for 10.3
>
> After all above is done you will have running openSUSE 10.3 and you can add
> applications from Internet repositories with smaller downloads, while you are
> using computer.
>
> The other option, loading all patches for 10.2 would also ask for huge
> download and as result you will have older version of openSUSE that is
> missing a lot of new features.
>
> > What will have been updated is KDE and
> > possibly other elements of the OS itself; the kernel is unchanged however?
>
> Lets call small change update, and big change upgrade.
>
> Installation of 10.3 will be upgrade.
> Everything, including kernel, will be new.
>
> There is small problem with naming upgrade vs. update.
> In openSUSE everything is called update, big or small change, but there are
> different levels:
> - If you go from openSUSE 10.2 to 10.3 it will be called System Update and,
> as
> it is mentioned, is a large change
> - In case that you update KDE for 10.3 to newer version of KDE (still
> compiled
> for 10.3) it will be considered as (normal) update.
>
> > In future, when asked for any CD beyond CD1, I am to use the disks from the
> > v10.2 set.
>
> The openSUSE 10.2 CD set will be useless.

Clear to me sfrom the Announcement page.

> When I used example with windows I tried to tell you that:
> - openSUSE 10.2 is one operating system, and
> - openSUSE 10.3 is another.

It went over my head, but I now see that this is indeed the dase. Surprising
for a minor release number.

> Only one number difference in the name means a lot of changes. Programs
> designed for 10.2 generally don't work under 10.3. There are some exceptions,
> but elaborate answer is far beyond email article (and my knowledge).
>
> For instance YaST and zypper are much faster and have new features missing in
> 10.2. Many people upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3 for this single reason, and
> there is many more.
>
> > Is all that correct?
>
> As you can see it isn't, but installing openSUSE 10.3 will give you brand new
> software.

Again, I am VERY grateful for your comments and insight.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?