On Thursday 25 October 2007 06:40:26 am Stan Goodman wrote:
> > Be aware that if installer of openSUSE 10.3 find working Internet
> > connection it will attempt to download much more than it is present on
> > CD. With slow Internet it can be very long download that can't be
> > interrupted or installation will fail. I have no exact number but it can
> > be between 2 and 3 GB. To avoid that:
>
> I would not have thought of that.

That is how it works now. Fresh installation or upgrade [see 1].

> > 1- turn Internet off before installation,
> > 2- save your data from openSUSE 10.2 (make backup)
>
> I'll just back it up in toto. That will bring over my Documents, Java
> programs and email data and my few other third party programs. Beyond that,
> I think only the Knode logon data and the Firefox profile files need to be
> saved.
>
> > 3- install openSUSE 10.3 (select New Installation)
>
> Why? I was going to install over the existing v10.2, which would mean
> selecting the Upgrade option. The single HD is entirely allocated. If there
> is a real reason for installing separately, I'd add a second HD.

Using 'Update previously installed system' option will attempt to update all
10.2 packages (including base system and kernel) to versions available in
10.3. I'm 99% sure there will be a lot packages that are not on single CD and
it will produce dependency problems with large number of questions asking you
to solve problems manually [2].

'New installation' can use:
- new partition,
- shrink existing partition and create new partition in free space,
- wipe off existing partition (reformat).
Any of above is your choice.

> > * be aware that if you don't install on a new partition (some 10 GB, but
> > more is better) it will format you existing partition and all data that
> > are not saved will be lost
>
> I am SO glad you told me this. What a mistake it was to install v10.2 in a
> single monster partition!! I had wanted to install /home in a separate
> partition in order to protect my own data and programs from this kind of
> ambush; I was talked out of that by "experienced users", who argued that
> there was no advantage to doing this.. As for installing v10.3. I now see
> the virtue of a New Installation; I need to put in a separate HD to manage
> that.

I'm running 'New installation' in virtual machine with virtual disk that was
used before so it is pretty good emulation of your use case.

1) I selected not to add online repositories. That should be equivalent of
turning Internet off. Default installation will attempt to install 1.4 GB
which when compressed can fit on one CD.

2) I'm now in 'Installation Settings' screen.
 I'll attempt to create partition for /home.
- Click on title 'Partitioning' gives another screen 'Suggested Partitioning'
where I select 'Create Custom Partition Setup' and press button 'Next'.
- That gives another screen where is preselected 'Custom Partitioning (for
experts) so I press button 'Next'.
- Now I'm in 'Expert Partitioner' screen.
- Select partition to work on (here /dev/sda2) and click on 'Resize' which
will give new window.
- Move slide to free some space for /home but leave to system more than it
requires right now as I want to add few GB of software later. When done press
OK.
- I'm back to 'Expert Partitioner' and now I have space to add new partition.
- Press 'Create' and it ask me Primary or Extended. I use Extended, which
opens new screen with proposals. I have to change only mount point from /
to /home and press OK.
- Now I have /dev/sda3 as /home, but it is missing / .
- Select /dev/sda2 and press 'Edit'.
- It opens the same screen as 'Create' where I add mount point to / and press
OK.
- Now I'm done with 'Expert Partitioner' and press 'Accept' button.
- Next comes warning and I say 'No' as I don't want to change what I have
done.
- Now I'm back to 'Installation Settings' screen and have to wait until
Installer is done.

Above should be enough to give you /home partition and installation that will
install openSUSE 10.3 on fresh formatted partition where was installed
openSUSE 10.2 before. If you want something else just post a question.

-----------------------
[1] This was discussed with developers, though I started from idea to shrink
single CD installation even more, by dropping big desktops and OpenOffice.
That is a lot of work to create and maintain, and idea was regarded with
strong resistance. Your use case is exactly what I had in mind proposing
smaller base installation that can be expanded from working system.

[2] I'm sure that I would finish installation by downloading DVD over dialup
before I would resolve manually all dependencies between 10.2 default
installation and 10.3 single CD installation and I'm not new to SUSE linux.

--
Regards,
Rajko.