On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 19:50 -0600, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/24/2007 Bryen wrote:
> > Okay... so, as an example, in Yast > Network Services > NIS Server.
> > How
> > does that become self-explanatory to someone who has never heard of
> > NIS
> > before?
> >
> > Even further...  Click on Help in the NIS Server module and the
> > following message comes up:
> >
> > "Select whether to configure the NIS server as a master or a slave or
> > not to configure a NIS server."
> >
> > Again, how is this self-explanatory?  That's the point some of us are
> > trying to make.  There should be at least a brief explanation to the
> > purpose of a module's services.
>
> As has been pointed out by some people the thread was about YaST, the
> container, NOT the modules within. YaST>Network Services IS self
> explanatory. If you add in the ">NIS Server" it is still self
> explanatory. It deals with the NIS Server settings, NOT your video settings.
>
> As I said in my post:
> > When you open a module in YaST you get hints in the left panel to what
> > needs to be put in the right panel. IMHO, these could use a little
> > touching up but they are there.
> The "help" stuff does need a little work. Never said it didn't. But
> that's a module issue and not a container issue.
>
> Somehow, I have wonder why someone that didn't know what an "NIS Server"
> is would be trying to change settings.
>
> FYI: I have no earthly idea what an "NIS Server" is. I don't need it and
> don't use it.  If I needed to know what was needed I would start with
> Google and the SuSE pages, OR I would know what was needed because it
> was something I needed to use. In the three, or so, years I've been
> using Linux full time I haven't needed to make any changes in that
> particular module.

Ahh but the suggestions that were posted much earlier in the thread were
"container" related and not module related.  The ability to hover your
mouse anywhere in YAST Control Center and get a pop up box that tells
you a brief description of this or that module.   That would be an
architectural design of the container itself.

--
---Bryen---