Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:59 -0500, James Knott wrote:
The Data General Eclipse line had a feature called "Writable Control
Store", which could be used to add custom instructions to the CPU.  The
VAX 11/780 had it's microcode loaded from floppy at boot, but I don't
recall if it was changeable in the same manner as the Eclipse WCS.

Floppy?
It was a real huge 8" flop ... (still have them here)

Holding all of about 50k or so?

I remember seeing some of those in an office supply store
in Hafir-Al-Batin, Saudi Arabia back in 1992.

hw