James Knott wrote:
Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Initially, i thought RISC was a crazy idea, compared to
the ultra-CISC VAX-11 instruction set...but then when I
read about the issues with page faults... I was almost
immediately convinced that yes indeed, the RISC guys did
have a very, very important point, and that the Clipper
chip and others weren't so crazy after all.

I believe the Clipper chip was part of a U.S. government initiated
encryption system that included a back door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_chip

Wrong Clipper -- poor wording on my part.

Sun workstations originally used Motorola 680x0 CPUs,
and then Sun developed their own CPU, which was called
"Clipper".  I believe it was the first CPU in the
SPARC line of CPUs.