On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:42:00 -0500
Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Initially, i thought RISC was a crazy idea, compared to
> the ultra-CISC VAX-11 instruction set...but then when I
> read about the issues with page faults... I was almost
> immediately convinced that yes indeed, the RISC guys did
> have a very, very important point, and that the Clipper
> chip and others weren't so crazy after all.

Initially, the Digital Alpha supported VMS, Digital Unix (Tru64 Unix),
and OpenVMS. There was a program (VEST) that could be used to translate
a VMS application and library to run on the Alpha. The Vested
application was both translated and emulated. Over time, the
application actually needed less emulation.
Floating point was an issue. The Alpha chip had native 64-bit IEEE
format (sign bit, 11 exponent bits, 53 mantissa bits - there was
1 hidden bit) floating point hardware (with full IEEE being executed in
PALcode or software). The VAX had a number of different hardware
floating point formats so that most of the native VAX floating point
formats were emulated on the Alpha.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group