On 2007/12/31 20:20 (GMT-0500) [EMAIL PROTECTED] apparently typed:

> 1) Before the upgrade to 10.3 (when both the desktop and laptop were
> 10.0) images looked the same on both. I could build a powerpoint
> presentation on the desktop and it looked the same on the laptop.
> Pictures looked the same. So prior to the upgrade everything was great.

> 2) Ignore the laptop for a moment. Powerpoint presentations and .jpgs
> that were on the desktop computer (10.0) prior to the upgrade now look
> wrong on the upgraded desktop (10.3). So images that previously looked
> landscape rectangular on the desktop now look square.

> I only mentioned the laptop as a note of comparison between a 10.0 set
> up that seems to work properly and a 10.3 set up that does not.

There are many hardware configurations in 10.3 that are tricky to get right.
This was quite uncommonly a problem in 10.0. Usually YaST installer got it
right and there was nothing left for a user to do, infrequently not the case
in 10.3.

> That said, here's the information you requested:

> For the 10.3 desktop being viewed on a 20" Viewsonic 20 monitor:

That particular model doesn't seem to exist on http://www.viewsonic.com/ . Is
it a CRT?

> xdpyinfo | grep resolution
> 80X64 dots per inch

My 20" Viewsonic
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/graphicseries/vg2021m/ is
1400x1050 and 87.5 x 87.5 DPI. A 20" at 1280x1024 should be about 82 X 82; at
1600x1200 about 100 X 100. 80 X 64 can be expected to squish objects narrower
than their natural aspect.

> xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
> 1280X768 pixels       406X305 mm

Those are incompatible, so something's radically messed up somewhere.
1280x768 doesn't compute to any standard aspect ratio, while 406 X 305
indicates a standard 4:3 ratio. IIRC some LCD TVs use 1280x768, but most TVs
& PC displays you'll find somewhere in the table on
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/displays.html

> And for the 10.0 LinuxCertified laptop

> xdpyinfo | grep resolution
> 86X84 dots per inch

So this laptop has about a 15" screen?

> xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
> 1024X768 pixels       302X232 mm

1024 X 768 is the most common PC display resolution, but 302 X 232 isn't
quite a standard 4:3 aspect ratio, nor even close to any 16:10 resolution.

> Note: the resolution on the laptop cannot be increased. It is at its
> limit.

So the laptop is an XGA model (1024x768 native resolution)? Most newer stuff
is widescreen and starts at 1280 X 800 (WXGA).

What gfxcards chips are in these systems?

Take a read of http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html if
you have some time to kill waiting.
--
Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409