On 2008/01/02 20:00 (GMT-0500) [EMAIL PROTECTED] apparently typed:

> On Wed January 2 2008, Ken Schneider wrote:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

>> > I did not know what to do so I tried control/alt/backspace but that
>> > just got me back the same streaks of color. I powered down the
>> > pooter and powered back up but still the same problem.

>> At this point you probably could have used ctrl-alt-f1 to get to the
>> console screen and used "sax2 -r -m 0=i810" again to configure YMMV.

> Thanks, Ken. I did not know this trick. I'll keep this on file --
> hopefully never to be needed but, just in case...  :o)

I don't believe it's a trick, but rather an undocumented law. By running
sax2, you're trying to do a fundamental configuration of X. That sax2 ever
works when run from within a running X is probably just happenstance.

Log out of X, Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] (switch to one of your 6 virtual consoles), log
in as root, 'init 3', 'sax2 -r -m 0=i810', 'init 5', then log into X to see
if/how the new configuration works.

You're not running doz. Reinstalling any Linux distro is simply not how one
fixes configuration trouble. It's a big waste of time, typically for no
gain/change. Any number of editors are available to fix broken configurations
from the command line, plus the swiss army knife file manager that includes a
nice text editor and makes finding, examining, and editing the appropriate
config files easy - MC. If MC isn't already installed, install it at first
opportunity. Then if/when xorg.conf needs some tweaking you can do it quickly
and easily without wasting hours emulating a clueless doz user.
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409