[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue January 1 2008, Felix Miata scratched these words onto a coconut shell, hoping for an answer:

(snip)
The answer is in xorg.conf:
Section "Device"

 Driver       "intel"
That's the driver used, the expected result of the instructions at
the above URL you've apparently yet to finish. You have to try the
i810 driver first before we can progress. None of what I wrote
following that direction is relevant until such time as both intel
and i810 fail, if indeed both fail.

i810_smbus is probably a sub-driver within the intel driver. There is
only one "intel driver", while there are a lot of intel chipsets that
single "driver" is designed to drive.

(remainder snipped)

Felix and Jan,

Well I had a disaster.  :o(

I tried changing from the intel driver to the i810 by using the command as suggested (as root): "sax2 -r -m 0=i810"

A couple of lines of text appeared in the shell (console) and suddenly the screen went black. A few seconds later it started rolling upwards uncontrollably. Then the picture fell apart completely and all I had was streaks of color across the screen and intermittent scintillation. I did not know what to do so I tried control/alt/backspace but that just got me back the same streaks of color. I powered down the pooter and powered back up but still the same problem. Tried to use the DVD hoping to repair the driver but could not get that to work. Eventually gave up out of total frustration. Decided to reinstall 10.3.

Did the reinstall and reconfigured the monitor. This time I set the diagonal size to 19" (I measured the screen size and found that it was not really a 20"). Set the resolution to 1152X864 (XGA). That gave me

If you measured 19" visable, then the actual tube size is 20."

My 21" diagonal screen has a 20"-diagonal viewing area
(1600 x 1200 at 100x100 dpi)

Monitor manufacturers sell by the largest dimension that they
can justify.. in this case, the diagonal of the outside
dimensions of the tube, *NOT* the usable portion.

76X67 DPI which while not right was at least better than before when I was getting 80X64 DPI. Output also gave me 1152X768 pixels and 386X290 mm.

and you should come out with the correct DPI (looks like it's probably close to 80x80 DPI)

Now when I look at rectangular powerpoint slides and .jpgs they're still squished, but not as much as before. When I checked the pages suggested by Felix the 1" black bar he shows for measurement is about 1 1/4", and the various boxes he shows are not the same size horizontally and vertically, so my monitor and video chip are still not happy working together.

But given the problem I had trying to switch video drivers I am now very reluctant to try again. I think I'll just live with the slightly squished images until a new driver comes out that is not buggy. Maybe I just had bad luck, and trying "sax2 -r -m 0=i810" again would work out OK, but I'm just not that brave. :o)

So many thanks for your help. Sorry that I could not test your theories to find whether both drivers were problematic.

Gil