On 2008/01/01 16:04 (GMT-0500) [EMAIL PROTECTED] apparently typed:

>> First try following the instructions here:
>> http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/openSUSE/10.3/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#13

> This is the same URL Jan pointed me to in previous e-mail. In my earlier
> response I noted that the driver shown in the output
> of "hwinfo --gfxcard" is i810_smbus.

The answer is in xorg.conf:

> Section "Device"
>  Driver       "intel"

That's the driver used, the expected result of the instructions at the above
URL you've apparently yet to finish. You have to try the i810 driver first
before we can progress. None of what I wrote
following that direction is relevant until such time as both intel and i810
fail, if indeed both fail.

i810_smbus is probably a sub-driver within the intel driver. There is only one
"intel driver", while there are a lot of intel chipsets that single "driver" is
designed to drive.

> As for the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
> It's more than 2300 lines.

The best thing with stuff like this is to upload it to your personal web space
and include the URL thereto in your reply. If you have no personal web space
http://pastebin.com/ or something similar
will do. Either way, we're not ready for it yet. Try i810 driver and BIOS
upgrade first.

Consider 10.2 and 11.0alpha or Factory as ultimate alternatives. Getting Intel
video configured in 10.3 can be a serious pain.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409