On Mon, January 14, 2008 4:10 am, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Rodney Baker wrote:
>> On Monday 14 January 2008 19:50:07 Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Kai,
>>>
>>> on a sidenote. I saw that you have a visio icon on your Linux
>>> desktop.
>>>
>>> How do you run visio on Linux?
>>>
>>> Thanks much a kind regards
>>> Eberhard
>>
>> Visio runs OK under CrossOver Office (a commercial version of wine)
>> - see
>> www.codeweavers.com. Support wasn't perfect around version 4 (of
>> Crossover),
>> but I no longer have my Visio install disk so I haven't been able to
>> test it
>> with recent versions (currently up to 6.2).
>
> Thanks much, Rodney. I knew that cxoffice works great to make MS
> Office
> working on Linux. I was not aware that this applies for visio, as
> well.

Visio is one of the few applications I cannot do without and for which
I find no good Linux equivilant (KVivio, OpenOffice). I admit, I
haven't tried Dia (http://live.gnome.org/Dia) but should.

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/visio_suse.jpg

In fact, I just taught my wife last night to use Visio to develop some
diagrams for a presentation she's doing to a school district.  It is
so brain-dead simple yet powerful.  (I've been using it since version
3.0 before MS bought it in 2000.)

> It is optimised for running MS
>> Office - it can be quite useful to run Excel and Word "natively" on
>> Linux at
>> times...
>
> Indeed.

Yes, you can run Excel and the all-important Outlook, and my other
must-have, Project, if necessary.

Project:
http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/cx_project.jpg

Visio:
http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/2006/visio2002_on_nix.jpg

mIRC:
http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/mirc_linux.jpg

Outlook:
http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/outlook_save.jpg

> However from a financial perspective, that means basically that you
> will
> need to add the crossover office license fee to the MS-Office premium.
>
> So imho the financial benefit of using Linux is kind of minimized
> against using the windows version that came with the machine.

Yes, you must pay for both the MS Office license (which you may have
already) and the CX Office license.  For me, it was relatively
painless, since I am an MSDN Universal subscriber. I get the Office
versions as part of the package. I just had to pay for CXOffice.

Once my company finally gets on to version 2003 of Exchange (we're on
5.5 with a 1.8TB database) then I'll migrate to Evolution or some
other mail application.