-------- Original Message --------
From: Chee How Chua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat 19 Jan 2008 04:01:07 EST

On Jan 18, 2008 10:26 AM, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Check on the boot loader installation tab, to see where it's booting from.

David, can you post your /etc/grub.conf here? I'm curious as to where
you installed your boot loader.

I'm guessing the complication for Dave (OP) is on the location of the
boot loader?

I'm not exactly sure how GRUB works but Dave's /etc/grub.conf reads:
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,5)
quit

which seems like the boot loader is installed in MBR of sda but it is
trying to load GRUB from sdb6? Probably YaST will show a different
story. But if this is really the case, will it cause a problem to have
stage1 on one disk and stage2 on another?

Mine is:
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,4)
quit

Quite straightforward - I installed in MBR of sda and load GRUB from
sda5. All within the same disk.

OK, I believe I have tried just about every GRUB alternative option and come up blank every time. In desperation, I used "fixmbr" from the XP CD and deleted all partitions from the second drive. Started a totally clean 10.3 install and accepted the default options offered. This should be the easiest configuration for the installer to handle, but no, on first reboot I am back to Error 21 and my GRUB files now show:

/boot/grub/device.map
        (fd0)   /dev/fd0
        (hd0)   /dev/sda
        (hd1)   /dev/sdb

/boot/grub/menu.lst
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jan 19 06:58:41 EST 2008
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd1,1)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.3
    root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3250824A_5ND3YLCZ-part2 vga=0x317 resume=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Floppy
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    chainloader (fd0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.3
    root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-31-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3250824A_5ND3YLCZ-part2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-31-default

/etc/grub.conf
        setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,1)
        quit

In the past I have done numerous installs with Win on the first drive and Linux on the second and never had anything like this problem. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another machine with this configuration to check against.

My real concern is that I was just about to set up one of my production boxes with this same configuration, but in view of this issue I must now seriously consider an alternative to openSUSE.

Regards

Dave