Already done,
The jira issue is WW-425.

Just to clarify, my intention was not replace or duplicate the velocity based templates in webwork. With the changes however, users could developo their own template based tags using the technology of their own choice.

I think there's a point in separating the concept abd implementation of template based tags from the actual tag and template hierarchy for XHTML. The built in XHTML template implementation can be velocity based, but the general templating support should be generic and support additional templating technologies.

Regards
Fredrik Lindgren