On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 19:42 +0100, edgar.sol...@web.de wrote:
> >> [extroot support split into lots of small packages]
> >
> > Imho for stuff like "blkid" the packaging overhead is higher than
> > enabling the corresponding busybox applet - the package status info plus
> > control file plus conditionals introduced elsewhere to check for the
> > existance of a blkid executable is probably higher than the few hundred
> > additional bytes of binary code introduced by enabling the busybox feature.
> >
> > I do not know whether we do ordinary users a favor by introducing dozens
> > of microscopic packages just to allow some "power users" to get rid of a
> > few features they don't want.
> >
> > I'd agree with an extroot-base and extroot-extra package maybe but not
> > splitting each possibility out of the construct.
>
> well, How about one big additional storage package then? Additionally
> enabling swapon and blkid from busybox?
> This also makes it easier to maintain. There is enough stuff already in
> base files.

One or two packages is the solution we'll be going for, with swapon and
blkid enabled in busybox.  This makes things a whole lot easier in terms
of the code as well as the packaging.

> > In my opinion most users want a proven solution with a defined feature
> > set that implements the current best practices. If somebody wants to
>
> Agreed.
>
> > implement external rootfs with the least amount of flash space he can
> > select the tools he need manually and grab the script of the day from
> > the wiki or some random blog.
>
> Only if he can disable the blownup/unfitting/readymade package before,
> so that he has got the space and not lots of files cluttering his system.
>
> > I don't see why we can't just agree on some standard, say for example
> > ext2 rootfs with ext2 fsck and blkid support. Whoever needs something
> > else is free to create his own solution.
>
> That's a different topic. A default configuration for ext rootfs makes
> absolute sense.
> How would you expect the external media to be initialized (formatted)?
> I am not sure it is a good idea to let the router do it during
> firstboot. On the other hand image download users probably don't have a

I'm making that an optional feature.  But the recommended way for most
users is to boot a normal jffs2-based session (which is also the
fallback in case of problems mounting the external rootfs) and use the
scripts I will be writing, to initialize the rootfs, and then reboot
into the rootfs.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore