>> well, How about one big additional storage package then? Additionally
>> enabling swapon and blkid from busybox?
>> This also makes it easier to maintain. There is enough stuff already in
>> base files.
>
> One or two packages is the solution we'll be going for, with swapon and
> blkid enabled in busybox.  This makes things a whole lot easier in terms
> of the code as well as the packaging.

This is very close to your current packaging. You probably want to make
these changes yourself?

> I'm making that an optional feature.  But the recommended way for most
> users is to boot a normal jffs2-based session (which is also the
> fallback in case of problems mounting the external rootfs) and use the
> scripts I will be writing, to initialize the rootfs, and then reboot
> into the rootfs.

How about a fs label "openwrt-root-ext2"? The fs suffix can tell what fs
the block device is, and does not have to be ext2.
Also the user obviously has to name the fs, what he wouldn't do if he
didn't want the device to be an openwrt-root, so he can be explained.

"If a device with a partition named 'openwrt-root-<fs>' (e.g.
openwrt-root-ext2) is found during boot, openwrt will try to changeroot
into it."

Something like that.

And one other thing. Why don't you put extroot in
buildroot/package/block-extroot. It seems pretty core to me :) and this
way the connection to block-mount is more obvious.

Nice work, ede