instance recovery time is more manageable in 9i --
mttr_fast_start_target in the init.ora.

For a time, in version 6, Oracle said you HAD to use shutdown abort,
that a shutdown immediate could corrupt the database (that was an
"undocumented feature")

I've had cases where the regular, automated backup procedure did a
shutdown immediate. And because some programmer had left an ad hoc
query running, the database did not shut down, the backup did not
complete and when the users came in in the morning, they couldn't
access the database.

If you are going to use shutdown immediate, you need to be aware that
it could hang, and leave your database in an "half-life" state --
neither shutdown nor started up. Make sure you have a process that
monitors how long the shutdown immediate is taking and either alerts
you that the time is excessive or kills the shutdown immediate and does
a shutdown abort. And if you do a shutdown abort as standard practice,
I'd suggest following it immediate with "startup restrict" and then
"shutdown" for a clean shutdown

http://tax.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael