-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 9:24 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

the problem is, if immediate hangs and you have automated the
process... nothing happens. it doesn't time out so you sit. and sit and
sit. and hope that whatever is keeping the database active will
eventually end.

In version 7 (7.3.2) I found that while using a third party monitoring
package that had a job in the job queue that ran frequently enough (and
you WANT monitoring software to monitor things!) that we could never
use a shutdown immediate

Author: Deshpande, Kirti