Ok, guys I have to apologize twice,

First: the delay to answer your very kind emails, (you
know the urgent problems dont let you time for the
important ones)

Second: maybe my question was not clear enough,
ciertanly what Bambi says is what I need "give me all
the usrs where there exists a record containing 1 AND
5 AND 7", the criteria was the list, not the records,
so it does not matter if the user has many more
records, but if he/she has those records that are in
the list, that is what I want, the solution is as
simple as Bambi's query.

I really really appreciate all the solutions provided
for you guys, I swear I tested every one.

Below I have a copy of my original email.

Thank you very much!
Gabriel Aragon

I have a table like this:

Usr  val
----------
GAP  1
GAP  5
GAP  7
JKL  8
JKL  5

I need a query that returns the user (GAP o JKL) that
has ALL the values in a list. Example: Having the
list: 1,5,7 the result will be GAP, but with the
values 1,5 or 1,5,7,8 there will be no result.

select distinct usr from xxx
where val = All (1,3,5)

I was trying the ALL operator but it works with part
of the list, I need the user that has (exactly) all
the values in the list. Any idea?

Maybe it's a simple solution, but after several hours
I feel blocked.

Gabriel

--- "Bellow, Bambi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jacques --
>
> Huh?  I thought the question was, "give me all the
> usrs where there exists a
> record containing a 1,5, and 7".  How can that
> return one record, when there
> are two users -- and only two users -- who have the
> 1,5,7 combination?  The
> data provided shows that both GAP and GPA have a 1,
> 5 and 7 and that no
> other users do.  My query provides that answer.  If
> that wasn't the
> question, then that won't be the answer; but if it
> *was* the question, then
> the query is correct.
>
> HTH,
> Bambi.
> =====================
>
> create table gab (usr char(3),val number);
> insert into gab values ('GAP',1);
> insert into gab values ('GAP',5);
> insert into gab values ('GAP',5);
> insert into gab values ('GAP',7);
> insert into gab values ('PAG',1);
> insert into gab values ('PAG',7);
> insert into gab values ('PAG',2);
> insert into gab values ('JKL',1);
> insert into gab values ('JKL',5);
> insert into gab values ('JKL',5);
> insert into gab values ('GPA',1);
> insert into gab values ('GPA',5);
> insert into gab values ('GPA',7);
> insert into gab values ('GPA',8);
>
>  select usr from gab
>  where val=1
>  intersect
>  select usr from gab
>  where val=5
>  intersect
>  select usr from gab
>  where val=7;
>
> USR
> ---
> GAP
> GPA

=====
"Any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for"(Cualquier sueño que valga la
pena tener, es un sueño por el que vale la pena luchar)Charles Xavier

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
Author: Gabriel Aragon