Robert J. Lang wrote:

>>So, here's the place where I throw it open to the list (or at least, those
who have waded through this long posting): what do you think we should use
as a short, ideally single-word descriptor, of the object and the person,
and why?<<

The general term for those who create art is, of course, artist. But we have
names for the many kinds of artist, and related names for their art.

The artist who paints is a painter. His artwork is paintings. He can be further
categorized by his medium: oil painter, watercolorist, etc., but the general
term for that kind of artist is: painter.

The artist who carves stone or wood, or molds clay, is a sculptor, producing
sculpture.

The artist who composes music is a composer. If he also performs music, he is
also a musician. His artwork is music.

Does it not follow that the artist who folds should be called a folder, and his
works be called folds?

Scott, who calls a spade a shovel.