Interesting topic! In many of my readings I have been partial to created term
of "origamist" for describing both the, to use use a construction analogy,
architect and constructor. I believe that origami is a unique enough art to
require its own word (and hey, why not? :) For those asking to differentiate
between the two, I like architect, as in origami architect, and the
constructor/folder.
Architect especially speaks to me as the architect must take into account all
points of construction, many times even before the piece/opus/building is
produced (the crease pattern being the blueprint in this extended analogy).
He/she must understand the whole picture and what materials would work best for
their creation so that those looking at their blueprints can recreate their
pieces/opi/buildings.
I'm not anyone can be truly right in this discussion, but it is enjoyable to
participate.

Thanks!
Curtis the isolated origamist