Sorry..I was a bit vague. What appears to happen is that Orion completely
shuts down. I am not sure if you are anyone is familiar with remote access
to administer a computer. What I do from my local box, using either
PCAnywhere (for local computers) or Remote Desktop (for our production
systems because the co-lo facility forces us to use that software). I log in
to the system. A few things happen. First, if we just log out of the
computer normally, it seems to crash any Java running app..actually..it
causes a thread dump (or core dump..not sure) of the JVM. We often have to
log back in and restart. This we noticed with IIS/JRUN. In hopes that SP6
would solve the problem, we upgraded to SP6 on one machine. Again..this is
NT4 with SP6 and JDK1.2.2. Now, I am using run_as_service to run Orion as a
service. It seems to work fine..so I am not sure if that program causes a
problem. I wish there was some OS level way to run Java as a service without
having to use a 3rd party tool. Sucks that they don't support that. I wonder
if Win2K does that (do you know?). Anyways...it appears though, that when
another person logs in, then I come back in a bit later, the Orion window is
gone. The service says its still running, so I have to STOP the service then
START it again. But nobody can connect to the site any longer. I start the
Orion service with java.exe not javaw.exe so I can see the output. We do
some output of connection check-out/check-in, etc. Since we aren't deployed
on Orion yet, we haven't even tried to convert to using Orion's connection
pooling. I will say this much, so as not to point blame at Orion because I
really don't think that is the problem. Our code has a home-brewn
persistence solution, home-brewn faxing solution (we are basically a company
that does about 3500 faxes a day..we have a pool of fax modems, and a faxing
program called HylaFax which we are replacing with a new one called Replix
and using an out-sourced faxing farm). I don't know a lot about JDBC myself,
so I am not sure how we are storing objects, retrieving them etc. I have
worked with our queries a bit, the "construction" of the WHERE clause
anyways. I am also skeptical of why a machine with 512MB of ram runs out of
memory on a single query. The query can return results of 10,000 station
objects, each object can't take up more than 1 or 2K of memory. Even worse,
on a E450 server (our Oracle runs on that) with 4 400Mhz cpus (64-bit), 4GB
memory and a Veritos cluster of very fast hd's, it takes 7 minutes to get
464 station objects back in a query. From the query it doesn't appear that
we are doing many joins. All of this leads me to believe our code is written
poorly (thankfully I wasn't involved in that code), and we have a lot of
work to do to figure out why we run out of memory, queries take a long time,
etc. But, I still haven't a clue why the Orion server would randomly
disappear from the screen and we suddenly can't access it anymore. Another
thing we notice is that when a person submits a query that seems to take a
long time, Orion drastically degrades in performance. My thinking is that
one thread running the query takes over, and other threads of the same
priority (each incoming request) don't get executed very quickly. The CPU
utilization goes to 100% when that happens, so I don't know if its the query
just went bad, or what. We are using JDBC 1.0 by the way.

So..I am sort of up in arms about what to do. The worse part is we are not
given the time to diagnose these issues. We keep moving forward with
business needs and soon we expect to have 3 to 4 times the traffic on our
site, and I don't think we are prepared to handle it. So, I guess I should
say if you can shed any light on some areas of trying to diagnose these
issues..that would be great. One thing I am doing..I am running Orion as an
application on a Win2K box with JDK 1.3. I am going to see if it suffers at
all from the same symptons we were seeing at our co-lo with NT4/sp6. If not,
then that would give us the answer..at least to why it was crashing. If it
does crash, then either Orion, our code or both are at fault, and we'll have
to get to the bottom of that.

Thanks Karl, Magnus and anyone else with feedback.