Title: RE: WinNT 4, SP5/6 and Orion consistently crashing..

You really should try profiling the query and seeing exactly what objects are being allocated. I've used OptimizeIt for this kind of thing and it's amazing the sort of memory leaks you can find. Just stuff you never thought of before.

Also you don't mention if your solution is pure java or not. If you're using any JNI, then look at that code VERY closely. Badly behaved JNI can cause a JVM to just exit out, without any messages or any vaguely helpful info.

If you're getting a thread dump, then maybe posting that or sending it along to Orion support would be helpful. Weblogic certainly are very keen to get thread dumps with these kind of issues, and there's no reason to think that it'd be any less useful in the case of Orion!

Finally, if you can identify an exact sequence that would cause the crash, you're halfway to solving it. You've mentioned that logging out of the machine would crash the JVM, that kinda points the finger at the remote control software you're using.

Also a query that returns 10,000 hits is not so bad, and pretty much any JVM should be able to deal with that without much trouble. Just make sure you're allocating plenty of heap memory for it. (using -mx 256M -ms 256M)