From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Hani Suleiman
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 3:41 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: EJB vs Servlets

I've considered using EJB's a number of times for various projects I'm involved in, but every time, I have to admit to myself that it's more for the fun and coolness factor, than any real 'need' to use EJB's.

In every case, I was able to implement a solution using servlets with various caches to do whatever is needed much faster than an EJB would do things (as far as I can tell, I haven't put this theory to the test yet though!). Here are some examples of EJB features and ways to get the same thing without EJB's..

1) Connection pooling: This is available everywhere, and everyone can reap the benefits of it while being perfectly EJBless.

2) Transaction support: Stored procedures can take care of this.
3) Caching of database objects: Pretty easy to implement
4) Failover/load-balancing: As Kevin mentioned, works very nicely for servlets.

Having said all that though, I'm still going to try and use EJB's in my current project, and port all the existing 'model' objects to become full fledged EJB's. I'm hoping the advantages will become apparent then!

Also, does anyone have any concrete examples of EJB's performance/scalability? Has anyone deployed them in a high volume production environment? Most people seem to be using them for prototyping and small scale projects, that I know of...

Hani Suleiman