-snip
>As for deployment, well..that depends too. You can go as little as a P133Mhz
>(if you could find one) with linux, running a 100% java app server (like
>orion)..although it will probably be pretty slow. Because Orion is 100%
>Java, you can run it on any JDK 1.2+ platform, probably with little problems
>on all of them. I think the best deal, being that Orion is clusterable, is
>to use cheap Athlon or Intel based servers. You can spend $10K on a dual
>900Mhz Dell server, or you can build a nice 1.1Ghz Athlon farm (say 3
>servers per island, 2 islands) for as little as $1200 each. Since they are
-snip

sounds very nice but what about the database? how do you cluster that
without spending an arm and a leg? our experience is, that it's not that
hard to set up clustered web services with static pages and servlets but
the really expensive part is, when you want that high availability for your
database. it doesn't buy you much if you have highly available ejbs when
the database server goes down. many people use clustered apache/jserv on
linux and cheap pc-hardware for high volume transactional websites but have
a large enterprise sun running oracle in the back. anyone out there running
a configuration with orion that includes a database with failover that
doesn't blow up the budget too much (compared to other components)?

robert
(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de