At 16:43 12.10.00 , you wrote:
>I'm not sure why noone has mentioned Sybase yet? Sybase 11.0.3.3 on Linux is
>free for all uses, and supports replication, backup servers etc etc etc.

Replication using 11.0.3.3? Do you mean with the additional Replication
Server (commercial) or is there another way? Are you using replication with
that version of sybase? We are deciding between sybase 11.0.3.3 and
Interbase 6 and are currently leaning towards Interbase because we don't
know how Sybase will support this product in the future. What if they
decide not to support JDBC X.X for the free versions at some point. then
you'll be forced to buy the commercial version. that's why we felt we'd go
for Interbase if it works well with orion. We have installed it here and
have migrated one large orion application (ejb and direct sql) that was
running on adabas to interbase. that took two days and seems to work very
well.

it's a shame Software AG failed so miserably making Adabas D a
well-supported product. they were the first commercial database vendor to
port to linux and the software has all the features you need (including
clustering support) at an unbeatable price. somehow nobody outside germany
seems to use it, which is why we'll eventually be dropping it (no community
support).

robert

>Very full featured and quite fast from my experience, a true enterprise
>RDBMS.
>
>Mike

(-) Robert Krüger
(-) SIGNAL 7 Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH
(-) Brüder-Knauß-Str. 79 - 64285 Darmstadt,
(-) Tel: 06151 665401, Fax: 06151 665373
(-) [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.signal7.de