Hi,

> sounds very nice but what about the database? how do you cluster that
> without spending an arm and a leg? our experience is, that
> it's not that
> hard to set up clustered web services with static pages and
> servlets but
> the really expensive part is, when you want that high
> availability for your
> database. it doesn't buy you much if you have highly
> available ejbs when
> the database server goes down. many people use clustered
> apache/jserv on
> linux and cheap pc-hardware for high volume transactional
> websites but have
> a large enterprise sun running oracle in the back. anyone out
> there running
> a configuration with orion that includes a database with
> failover that
> doesn't blow up the budget too much (compared to other components)?

Well, to start off with there is mySQL and the one I like the most is
Interbase 6..a free powerful RDBMS. However, as far as clustering them..I
don't quite know the best way. I would think a load-balancer or a switch or
something, would be required. Nobody ever said it was cheap! ;) I used to
think $25,000 could easily set up a website from front to back, software,
hardware, etc..but not even close these days. If you are just starting out,
I would use Orion for front-end and ejb-logic tiers in a clustered
environment (for developing/testing), with a single server running mySQL or
Interbase for the database. Once you get some funding and move beyond the
concept phase, you should put a sizeable chunk to invest in co-locating your
site and doing the full load-balancing setup. I would estimate a cheap setup
with 2 front-end web/servlet servers failed over, 2 ejb servers, and a
database cluster will still run around $100,000, to co-lo it..which is
probably the best thing to do to make sure its up 24/7.