Mike Cannon-Brookes wrote:

> Sybase JDBC drivers are called "JConnect". Current version is 5.2 (for
> JDBC2) and 4.2 (JDBC1)
>
> I had a few problems with them ages ago and bought a commercial driver -
> never tried again, but they have evolved I think.

> > And JDBC drivers for Sybase? Last time I tried to get them from Sybase
> > I failed miserably. Couldn't find them, not to mention download them.
> > I seem to remember a very awkward system with registration and icky
> > navigation to get to the drivers at all...is that easier now? Maybe
> > I gave up to late. :-)

> > - Where can the JDBC drivers for Sybase be downloaded?
> > - Which version should be used?
> > - Any special things worth knowing about Sybase and its JDBC drivers
> >   that could cause problems otherwise?
The drivers can actially be found at sybase ;-) It took me a couple of
hours to find them their site really sucks in relation to navigation.
I'm using JConnect 5.2 and it's a pretty good driver (much better imho
than for example DB2 & Oracle drivers. I've heard of one bug, but
haven't seen it myself, it's simmilar to the bug in the older MySql (mm)
drivers, and does not allow images of more than 32k to be inserted into
or obtained from the database.

But I agree with the above mentioned. IMHO the free linux version is the
best i've seen so far. Highly scalable, quite fast (select * from where
pk='x' on a table with more than 7 million records is almost
instantanious and several joins on tables with more than 7 million
records goes in less than a second), it's  slow (imho) in populating the
db (7000000 records took about 14 hrs (4 on mysql!)). The docs are great
(about seven books(ps) with 500+ pages)

sven
Sven E. van 't Veer
http://www.cachoeiro.net
Java Developer                                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]