You said it best..that is exactly what I am wondering. Right now I use JSP
to do the "VIEW", thus I put scriplets for conditional rendering, as well as
using JavaBeans populated by the logic code that is then rendered. I am
wondering..since I don't want to put XML output in my code directly (as we
used to do with Servlets and HTML using the response buffer), how exactly
can we utilize the awesome conditional scriplet stuff of JSP to render good
XML that can then be translated to HTML, PDF, RTF or WML in real-time, all
the while not killing performance. Obviously the extra step to use an XSL
and XML to produce the final output will take (I would think at least 2x or
more) longer, but we also want to still be able to give reasonable
performance for several 1000 users using our site throughout a 24-hour day.
On that note..how would high-volume sites deal with this? Would they just
have 100's of web-servers in multiple farms to handle the load, just add
more to handle more? Orion has a kewl way of doing this with its island
setup, but I am not sure if any load-balancer can properly handle say 30
islands, each with 3 servers running Orion, or not.