Just a few comments...not angry comments. :-)

As a committer on an Apache project, let me just say that decisions to
support JDK 1.1, on a per-project basis, are not about supporting "dead
things". We have, in fact, people who _must_ use JDK 1.1 (probably more than
you might think). As another example, we are a J2EE shop; but just recently
we had a (big) requirement to support ISAM data. That's ancient, too, but
I'll bet there's more ISAM data out there than there is relational data.
Would you personally turn up your nose at supporting ISAM? Well, maybe you
would. I dunno.

I haven't used Struts myself, but since you mention it, I'd guess you'd have
to ask Rickard himself why he decided to write his own framework. With all
due respect to him, the primary reason, 9 times out of 10, that people write
their own code is because as an industry we are damned terrible at re-use.
There are a whole bunch of bad reasons why this is so - laziness, arrogance,
reluctance to share the limelight, etc etc. Only rarely do you find that
somebody wrote code because they conducted a thorough search and couldn't
find anything that could even be modified. I'm personally pretty hot about
this topic because there is a huge amount of wasted time due to this.
Frameworks are a particularly bad offender - everybody and his brother wants
to write their own framework.

As far as bloat, well, that's in the eye of the beholder. If a product
provides 100 features, but any given user only needs 25 of them, but nearly
all of the features are useful to someone, it's "bloat" to almost everyone,
but also useful to almost everyone. It's only bad bloat if the extra
features get in your way, though, when you want to use your subset. I
question whether this happens that often. But most of your comments are
pretty general, so who knows exactly what you were talking about.

Are Apache products perfect? No, not by a long shot. Are they as bad as you
make them out to be? No, not by a long shot.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom