I don't know what type of User manager you made, but I had problems using
EJBUserManager, I had to leave the principals.xml containing all my groups
(not my users) and the link to it in orion-application.xml.  I struggled for
a while on this since it doesn't make sense as all my users are in the
database. Maybe it is something related somehow and you could try it out?

Christian