On 16 Mar 2001, at 10:14, Peter Pontbriand wrote:

> The DataSourceUserManager that is provided with Orion exhibits this same
> problem - the principals.xml must still contain the group declarations.
> We've created out own custom UserManager that uses our User and Group EJBs.
> This custom user manager will work fine for EJB and Web modules without
> anything in the principals.xml, but it fails miserably with Application
> Client modules. It is impossible to login with Application Clients no matter
> what's in the DB or in principals.xml.

We were able to develop our own custom UserManager that uses wrapper
classes around our User/Group EJBs as well as allows Application
Clients access.  We didn't completely eliminate the principals.xml
file, but it has been scaled back to one user for the Application
Clients.  The custom UserManager first delegates to the parent
UserManager (principals.xml) during a getUser().  If the user is not
there, then the UserManager looks in the DB via the User EJB.

The principals.xml file looks something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE principals PUBLIC "//Evermind - Orion Principals//"
"http://www.orionserver.com/dtds/principals.dtd">

<principals>
        <groups>
                <group name="AGroup">
                  <permission name="rmi:login" />
                  <permission name="com.evermind.server.rmi.RMIPermission" />
                </group>
        </groups>
        <users>
                <user username="AUser" password="AUserPassword">
                        <group-membership group="AGroup" />
                </user>
        </users>
</principals>