On 8/22/07, Jeremy L. Moles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 19:16 +0100, Robert Osfield wrote:
> > Are the examples of no use to any one??? Shall I just do a
> >
> >   svn rm  examples
> >
> > ?
>
> No, they very much are. :) It's just that those of us that DO use the
> examples don't post here saying so...

Its O.K. I'm not serious about to remove them, just frustrating my
frustration at big chunks of work that is dedicated to helping new
users being ignored.

> As far as example usefulness is concerned, "no news is good news."
> Honestly, in contrast to the entire discussion at hand, I _rarely_ use
> documentation. I always just look at the code. Documentation in a formal
> sense makes me want to take a nap...

In other projects I do occasionally look for documentation, but rarely
does it help me more than a succinct code example.  If you are
experienced programmer than its the code that tells you everything.

It would be interesting to do a profile of different users to see what
types of assistance to get their programs written they find most
effective.  When I say assistance I mean documentation, mailing list
archives, examples, code comments, code itself, class naming, method
naming.

I do wonder if too many developers these days are expecting to put in
too little real effort for the amount of results they are wanting.
Programming is hard.  Real-time graphics is a BIG topic.  To master
them you have lavish lots of time.

When I first started programming as a kid there was just practically
nothing available relative to today, I didn't know any better, I
enjoyed in a perverse way learning by myself how to code Z80
assembler.  Yes it took weeks just to get a few coloured sprites
animating across the screen, but I didn't go ranting at anyone for
lack of guidance and docs, I just enjoyed figuring it out and getting
the final result.  Fast forward to today and the with 10 lines of code
in the OSG you can create and load a terabyte sized 3D world and
interact with it at a solid 60Hz.  But yet some people seem to expect
more much more.