Frankly it's stupid that the Collada DOM can't save or load files
properly using native file system paths. Just in the last week I fixed
this in the latest DOM code in the svn repo on SourceForge. Now there
are some general file path <--> URI conversion functions in the DOM, and
the DAE interface exposes loadFile, saveFile, etc methods to work with
native file system paths. These functions work by converting a file
system path to a URI and using the old load, save, etc methods, which
still work with URIs only. So now you can write code like this:

DAE dae;
dae.loadFile("c:\myFile.dae");

UNC paths should also work fine.

I'm not sure if this helps you guys at all, since this code isn't in an
official release of the DOM yet, but I still wanted to let you know.

Steve