Hi Robert, Wojtek,

I recall a post for Jean-Sebastian Guay in the last couple of months
about Vista not supporting TwinView, perhaps I mis-read, but this is
what I recall.  Perhaps he'll be able to chip in.

I'm not sure what TwinView corresponds to, as it's more of a Linux/X term.

On Windows XP, we used to have the option to have multiple independent displays (say 2 displays of 1280x1024 - I guess that's TwinView on Linux?) or one combined display (2560x1024). The latter is called "horizontal span" (you can also do vertical span, 1280x2048 for example).

Now, on Vista, that option no longer exists (apparently because of the new driver model that Microsoft imposed on the video card manufacturers, but that may just be the manufacturers making excuses). The horizontal span and vertical span modes don't exist in Vista, only the "multiple independent monitors".

Note that my experience is only on one video card, two monitors. I don't quite know how that scales to X video cards and Y monitors, and how it would work if the cards are of different types. Sorry.

J-S