Hi, thanks guys for your help,

Ümit:
    I'm indeed using Ubuntu...
I don't see how using an external camera can help. In fact the lags are not
due to istanbul but to the complexity of the scene : even without
screencasting my graphic card is not able to render at a sufficient frame
rate.

Sukender:
    Your proposal seems to fit what I wanna do. Though I need some more help
about some points.

First, a point you didn't referred to in your pseudo code : How will I move
around the scene? Are you thinking of traversing along an osg::AnimationPath
like I proposed? If so, do you have any Idea of how to do this?

Second, I tried some times ago to do an offscreen rendering but If you know
an easy way in osg to do it I'm interested (I think there are ways based on
osg::Camera::DrawCallBack).

Eventually, do you know some good (easy to handle) API for compressing
video?

Thanks a lot for your support.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Sukender <suky0...@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> I got a solution for you, which is not an out-of-the-box one and requires a
> little coding, but I already did a similar thing to capture the output of an
> OpenGL/SDL app and it worked properly:
>
> You may tweak the main loop and control yourself the simulation time of the
> scene graph. That way, you could render and capture a constant frame-rate
> video (25fps for example). The video rendering is then not realtime: if your
> PC is fast, the redering will last less than the video, but the video itslef
> would always have a constant frame rate. Here is my solution in pseudo-code:
> while( !viewer.done() ) {
>    videoTime += 1/25.f;      // Advance 1/25th of second
>    viewer.frame(videoTime);  // ... and tell the scene graph
>    Capture the rendered image
>    If you have an API for compressing video, send the captured image to it.
> Else save it to disk for manual encoding.
> }
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Sukender
> PVLE - Lightweight cross-platform game engine -
> http://pvle.sourceforge.net/
>

> Le Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:38:12 +0100, Simon Loic <simon1l...@gmail.com> a
> écrit:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I apology in advance if this thread have been heavily answered before (if
> so
> > just tell where I can find the solution). Still I would like to know the
> > different alternative (the good ones) to record a video of my scene.
> > So far I was using an external tool for screenCast (called istanbul). But
> > I'm not satisfied by this because when my scene is very complex, my osg
> > based application is lagging and this leads to a poor quality of th
> video.
> >
> > I'm especially interested if there is a way to create an
> > RecordCameraPathHandler to record a path, and then instead of saving it
> as a
> > .path file compute the video in a batch mode. By batch mode I mean that
> the
> > creation of the video doesn't need to be real time. In that way I could
> > hopefully control the lag effects and eventually the resolution of the
> > video.
> >
> > Sincerely,

Loïc Simon