Hi Cedric,

In theory the idea is cool but if people dont fill the current wiki why they will take energy to fill a forge ?

I think it requires no more energy than hosting your project on your own site, or a site like SourceForge or Google Code. The difference is that it would be centralized, with an easy way to add maintainers, to generate interest in projects, to search, etc.

A list of nodekits on the wiki, where links become broken and there is no way of knowing if a project is actually any good, doesn't help at all.

And personnally if there is no support
for git/mercurial i prefer to host the project where i can use those tools.

You could always host your own version control repository, and use the forge's version control as a mirror. Plus I think some of the software supports Mercurial at least (mozdev does, why not others?)

I think the main problem is to reference project, not to host them Maybe we just need to improve the reference of project on osg trac or a better categories...

No, I think the main problem is generating interest and ensuring a project stays alive. A dumb project list does not help there.

As it is now, a project is one person's pet and if that person stops maintaining it, it dies. Handing over project ownership does not happen when a project is one person's pet. Unless the project is on SourceForge or Google Code, but then we have the problem of having lots of projects on different systems using different tools to maintain them.

I think we need a better balance between consolidation and distribution. Being too decentralized is not good either.

Anyways, we'll see.

J-S