Thanks Paul, Jeremy,

So after some contemplation I am pretty sure I want to use the painter's
layering. The reason is that if  for example I want to rotate a panel in
front of another one I don't want it to intersect with panals behind it. I
could use orthographic projection and dynamically change the z distances
 based on bounding box but this just seems overkill if I could just disable
depth testing.  I just want it 2.5D--looking 3D but layering 2D.

So I tried forcing the osgText in a the opaque render bin with the following
 but without much luck.

 mytextstateset->setRenderBinDetails(0, "RenderBin",
osg::StateSet::OVERRIDE_RENDERBIN_DETAILS);

Is there something else I need to do other than that?  If I understand
correctly there are two default bins--"RenderBin" and "DepthSortedBin".
Former is sorted based on the binNum, latter based on the depth.

I guess what I don't understand is how does the binNum realate to the
other items in the default bin. I know they are rendered in the order they
are added to the scene. How to they relate to the binNum? Still a bit
confused.

Will read some more of the osg source code but let me know if you guy
know what I am doing wrong.

Thank you!

Cheers,
stefan