Hi Chris,

Do you mean that VPB now uses a regularly gridded mesh which I would have to
convert into a TIN in order to use osgTDS? Can I configure VPB to output in the
“old way” so I can use osgTDS on the generated mesh? I see I can give the
following options, but don’t know if any of them will have an effect in this
case:

Output:
--HEIGHT_FIELD: Create a height field database
--POLYGONAL: Create a height field database (default)
--TERRAIN: Create a osgTerrain::Terrain database

What you have done sounds interesting! Too bad you can’t release it (at least
yet). I guess the process of merging the roads with the terrain would be
offline if done on the CPU, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be..?

I have also thought of marking the triangles in the terrain skin that are cut
by a road, so they can be subdivided and flattened in a geometry shader. The
marking could for example be done by clever use of texture coordinates, and
distances to the closest point on the road relative to each of the affected
vertices stored in textures. Any thoughts on this? I really don’t know if it is
feasible. The good thing is that if it works you don’t need to make changes to
VPB or the database, jus run a pre-processing step to generate the texture
coordinates and textures.

Martin