Ok,

When loading cow.osg I experience the same problems described above. Works fine
when my app is compiled with osg 2.8.2, warning message and no visible geometry
when using v. 2.9.6.

When viewing an .osg version of my test plane, there don't seem to be any
special GL features being used. In fact, the files are nearly identical in each
case except for the placement of the camera node. In the file that works, the
camera is just under the root. In the other file, the camera is a level deeper
and there is a 'Use Camera' line at the root. Pertinent sections shown below:

Code:
}
    }
  }
  CameraView {
    UniqueID CameraView_3
    DataVariance DYNAMIC
    name "osg_main_view"
    nodeMask 0xffffffff
    cullingActive TRUE
    referenceFrame RELATIVE
    position 0 400 0
    attitude -0.707179 -0 -0 0.707035
    fieldOfView 60
    fieldOfViewMode VERTICAL
    focalLength 0
  }
}

Code:
}
      CameraView {
        UniqueID CameraView_3
        DataVariance DYNAMIC
        name "osg_main_view"
        nodeMask 0xffffffff
        cullingActive TRUE
        referenceFrame RELATIVE
        position 0 400 0
        attitude -0.707179 -0 -0 0.707035
        fieldOfView 60
        fieldOfViewMode VERTICAL
        focalLength 0
      }
    }
  }
  Use CameraView_3
}

It seems strange that this would make any difference... Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Garrett