J-S,

You are correct.  Other than getting my osgOcean demo to work, I am not clear
on what I need to do.  I only have a vague idea of the build environment and
can generally get things to work by tinkering(hacking).   This, fueled by a
lack of patience on my part always ends in frustration and exhaustion. I need
to take the extra time to understand what I am doing.

There is no need for me to compile from source, I just didn't know any better.
As I am trying to become "competent", perhaps I need to take smaller steps
before jumping in this world.   And I used 2.9.7 because is seemed like the
latest version but 2.8.3 is fine.

You have expended a considerable amount of time and effort in crafting your
response.  I GREATLY  appreciate your efforts so for my part,  I will do as you
say: I will start over and try to ensure I know what is going on at each step.
It will take the time to view each link you have provided and "hopefully" I
will be a more enlightened 8)  osg person at the end of it. ;)

Back to the drawing board for me and thanks yet again for your help!!!  Wish me
luck....

Cheers,
Adam