Hi Adam,

I still have a bit of a problem however, as I am still unable to run the
osgOcean example.  I encounter:

DynamicLibrary::failed loading "osgPlugins-2.8.3/osgdb_png.dll"

(and then of course the subsequent "Could not find plugin..." messages).    I'm
baffled as to why it can't load but since the precompiled osgViewer code reads png files
fine, I still have setup issue.

Perhaps the osgdb_png.dll dependencies are not all being found?   I am still
working on it and I will prevail but I thought I'd update you folks.

That message generally means that it can find osgdb_png.dll itself, but can't load it for some reason. It's generally because it can't find its own dependencies (as you thought). So make sure libpng13.dll is on your PATH too (or just copy it to your OSG\bin directory alongside osgXX-osg.dll, osgXX-osgDB.dll, etc.

Another possibility is that it's finding libpng13.dll from some other program that's on your path before it can find the one in your OSG directory. That happened to me, an IM client called Pidgin had put itself on the PATH ahead of OSG and its version of libpng13.dll was being picked up, but it didn't match the version I had compiled osgdb_png.dll with so it couldn't load it. A tool that might help you see if this is your situation is Dependency Walker - download it, drag and drop the oceanExample.exe onto it, and then run it. Then find libpng13.dll in the window and it will tell you from which directory it has tried to load it, and you'll know if it's not the right one.

Hope this helps,

J-S