Hi Eric,

osgEarth can do everything you've mentioned you need to do.  You can
add/remove layers at runtime, cut holes in the terrain using the masking
feature and run at 60 fps.  When you say that performance was bad until
you've filled the cache in osgEarth, you're making a good point.
 Everything that VPB does in it's preprocessing step osgEarth is doing at
runtime and caching as it goes along.  So a fully cached osgEarth is very
similar to a VPB built database.

That being said, you'll get MUCH better performance (in both osgEarth at
runtime and VPB at build time) if you take some relatively simple steps to
make sure you're GIS is optimized, see
http://osgearth.org/wiki/DataPreparation
Basically you need to take the time to reproject your data up front and
ensure that it's in a fast format that can support fast tiled reads (like a
tiled geotiff with overviews or an ECW or JPEG2000).

I'm looking at a 1.2 GB ECW file in osgEarth right now with no cache at all
and it's crazy fast.

Thanks,

Jason