I wanted to avoid specifying the near/far planes manually since the

> behaviour without the Earth surface geometry is perfect as is. I don't
> care about the overhead of drawing the surface geometry since its so
> simple, and I don't want the scene graph to account for the surface
> geometry (outside of rendering it); the other objects in the scene
> should determine the camera frustum.

  Due to the way OGL works with near/far, if you want it drawn, you need it
taken into account when computing the near/far planes.

  Are you just worried about the far plane being set too far?

  > Including geometry for the
Earth's surface makes the other stuff disappear (and reappear at
certain angles).

  It sounds to me like you're not trying to solve the right problem. You
should first determine WHY these other items aren't displayed at times.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/