On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:38:02PM -0700, OA wrote:
This story has continuation... After setting the route I exited OsmAnd by
pressing "Back" button on my phone. Then, when I was sitting in the car and
ready to start my trip, I opened OsmAnd and it asked me to set my
destination...

What instead happens if you substitute the "show home screen" button for the "back" button above?

Many non-browser apps interpret the "back" button as an "undo" or "cancel" command. Maybe OsmAnd is also doing the same.

For myself, I've prepared routes in OsmAnd ahead of time, and when I've used the "show home screen" button (or the "show running apps" button and then picking another running app) I've never experienced the prepared route disappearing in OsmAnd.

I thought, that I was already prepared my route. No, not at
all. And I had to repeat all the steps (see my post above) again.

There is no "post above" for those of us reading this as a mailing list. Each post is a separate email with no view of any prior emails.

But this time, OsmAnd ALWAYS set destination to my first intermediate
waypoint, resetting my actual destination (Home).

This is the part where you are performing a very unique method of routing.

When I am home, and want to navigate to "location X" using OsmAnd, I do not think of "home" as my "destination". My "destination" at that time is "location X". So I put "location X" into OsmAnd as destination, it finds a route, and it takes me there.

Then, once I am done at "location X", if where I want to go is now "home", only then do I consider "home" as my "destination".

But never once have I ever considered "home" as a "destination" when I am presently at home and wishing to route to one or more other locations. My "destination" is always a different location from where I am presently positioned, even if, ultimately, in the end, I perform a giant loop and do, in fact, end up back at home once all the other destinations are complete.

Sitting in my car, I tried it again and again. Perhaps after 20th attempt I gave up, ending without any route... I drove my car without OsmAnd instructions :(

But, could you not have simply routed to each end point as a "destination", then at the last end point, asked OsmAnd to route you home from that location?

So, the lesson from this experience: 1. OsmAnd can't keep its old route, created just a moment ago

I suspect this is due to the "back" button, as it has not been my experience when using the "show home screen" button.

2. OsmAnd is unreliable as a navigation tool. It may reset my actual destination (in most cases it's Home) to an intermediate waypoint every time I try to add it.

This is very likely because you are performing a very unique type of routing. I can certianly see the developers considering this situation:

1) GPS position is at "home" location
2) User requests to be routed to "home" as the destination

And creating the code to simply decide "you are presently positioned exactly where it is you want to go, so there is nothing for us to do".

Maybe try inputting the final 'stop' just prior to returning home as your initial destination, then adding additional waypoints if you are setting up a route through several stops, then inserting 'home' as an absolute final destination last. That way at least OsmAnd always has at least one location that is away from your present location ('home') so it will not think the route is over before it has begun.