I would love to read that article. May we have the reference? Thank you,
Alice

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Estelle Breines [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 8:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [OTnow] Fwd: Re: History of the word "occupation"

Ron, the person who identified George Barton as the originator of the
term might well have been me.  Bob Bing and I had a discussion about
this in letters to the editor some years ago.  My information was based
on research in archival letters then housed at Moody Medical library in
Galveston, now at AOTA's library.  Barton, Dunton and Slagle were
involved in a debate over the title of the profession in letters they
wrote to one another.  I eventually wrote an article about the beliefs
of the founders of OT in defining OT, which was published in the British
J of OT.  It concerns the various ways occupation/occupy are defined,
and how these various ways are both ambiguous and comprehensive, just
like the profession is.

Dr. Estelle Breines
Seton Hall University