Hello Jody:

I  like your observations. I want to add that I might make climbing a ladder
an  OT  goal  if  the  client  needed  to  climb  a  ladder  to engage in an
occupation. In the following example, keep in mind that a vocation is a type
of  occupation. According to the Canadian Model of Occupational Performance,
a  vocation  is  an  example  of an occupation falling into the productivity
category.

Example  -  If  a  client  needed  to climb a ladder in order to perform his
vocation of painting, then painting would be the long-term goal and climbing
a ladder would be the short-term goal.

And  like  you stated, if painting was the clients long-term goal and he was
unable  to achieve the short-term goal of climbing the ladder, we would look
at alternative ways to complete the painting, such as extended handles.

The  above  example is for years what I tried to get students to understand.
It's  a 'framing the problem' approach to being an OT. I am firmly convinced
that  when  an  OT  looks  a  client,  they  should  see  a different set of
"problems" than any other profession.