Ron...I cannot believe you made this interpretation in your last post:

" In any case, it seems to me that occupational therapy is called just
that because of its focus on activity, compared to, say, physical
therapy. A physical therapist would help a victim of a car accident
regain muscle tone in his or her legs and the ability to walk, but an
occupational therapist would teach the person how to climb a ladder, how
to go up and down stairs, etc."


The whole problem here, as it seems to me, is that physical therapy is concerned with 
"function" as it is necessary that any goal we write for a patient has to go beyond 
the impairment improving but be related to a functional goal.  

The functional goal is often an "occupational" goal based on what it is the patient 
wants to accomplish with therapy.  I cannot say, OK, you now have "X" degrees in 
knee/hip flexion and your LE strength is "X".....now, I am referring you to an OT to 
learn to climb the ladder.  I would think that a higher level thinking PT would be 
able to take their client to "that next step".  

However......I want you to know that I still am trying to incorporate understanding 
and knowledge into my students activities of our limitations as dictated by modern 
medical model, and to lead them to understanding that OT is a vital aspect of a 
person's recovery and that we need to know when to refer:)

Peace brother



David A. Lehman, PhD, PT
Associate Professor
Tennessee State University
Department of Physical Therapy
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37209
615-963-5946
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Carson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 6:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OTnow] Fwd: Re: History of the word "occupation"


Hello:

A  while  back,  I  wrote  Merriam-Webster  about  the  history  of the word
'occupation'. Below is their response.

Ron

-----

This is a forwarded message
From: Judy Yeh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 2003
Subject: History of the word "occupation"

=================Original message text===============

"Occupation" is related to the word "occupy," and both words ultimately
come from the same Latin root word meaning "to seize, to possess or take
up." An occupation is a taking up of something: occupation of another
country is the taking up or seizing of land; an occupation in the sense
of "an activity" is something that takes up one's time; occupation
meaning "a vocation, profession, employment" is the taking up of one's
time, energies, and life.

This word is very old, and has been in use for centuries. "Occupation"
in the sense of "employment, business, and/or an activity" has been
around since the 1300s at least and was used by authors like Chaucer.

However, "occupational" is more recent. The _Oxford English Dictionary_
gives a citation for it from 1850, and I am unaware of any earlier
appearances of this word.

As for the naming of occupational therapy...I should begin by saying
that I don't know much about occupational therapy, but from reading
several Web pages about the history of occupational therapy and related
disciplines put up by college students studying occupational therapy
(like

http://www.ceap.wcu.edu/hhp/students/JeffMansfield/archive/rthistory.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/otpsych/history.html
http://tiger.towson.edu/users/ptappe1/historyOT.htm

I drew these conclusions:

1) Occupational therapy is rooted in efforts in the 1700s and 1800s to
improve the well-being of mentally ill and infirm people. 

2) These forerunners of modern-day occupational therapists tried to make
the lives of the mentally ill and infirm more fulfilling by finding them
activities to *occupy* their time and teaching them skills that would be
useful in an *occupation*. 

3) Nowadays, occupational therapy is concerned with rehabilitating
sufferers of physical illness: injuries (often obtained at work--one's
*occupation*), disabilities, and infirmity. (Perhaps the field of
occupational therapy expanded in the US after soldiers returned from the
first World War?)

4) Someone claimed on the Internet that George Edward Barton was the
originator of the term "occupational therapy"
(http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=61e953aaa46c2c35&rnum=1).
 I can't prove or disprove his assertion at the moment,
but you may find the writing I linked to to be interesting reading.

In any case, it seems to me that occupational therapy is called just
that because of its focus on activity, compared to, say, physical
therapy. A physical therapist would help a victim of a car accident
regain muscle tone in his or her legs and the ability to walk, but an
occupational therapist would teach the person how to climb a ladder, how
to go up and down stairs, etc.

I think one reason why occupational therapy remains unknown is that it
is often confused with physical therapy. But as the population
(especially the "baby boomer" segment) ages, knowledge of occupational
therapy will probably spread, since more people will find themselves
needing the services of occupational therapists.

I hope I have been helpful. Thank you for writing to Merriam-Webster.

Sincerely,

Judy Yeh
Assistant Editor
Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street, P.O. Box 281 
Springfield, MA 01102 
Phone: 413-734-3134, ext. 133 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
http://www.Merriam-Webster.com 
http://www.WordCentral.com 
http://www.merriam-websterunabridged.com
http://www.merriam-webstercollegiate.com




==============End of original message text===========


_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive:
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
==============================================

Reply via email to