From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Carmen Aguirre
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 8:03 PM
To: otlist@otnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Best Practice

I think the message here limits the power of task analysis and task
equivalency. There a MANY times when a client will need physical agent
modalities/ neuromuscular re-education, lymphedema treatment , etc to
prepare a body segment to perform then or later, a desired occupation.
The role of OT is important to id. those components that would
facilitate the occupational outcome. I would not ID those physical agent
modalities, refer my patient to PT, wait until I'm told "they are ready"
and then work with my patient on the occupation. It is a segmented
approach and unnecessary in my opinion. We are competent to see the
process from beginning to end.
Carmen

> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:17:43 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Subject: [OTlist] Best Practice
>
> I just posted the following on AOTA's Phy-Dys list serve and wanted to
> get OTnow.com readers' opinion. As usual, it's lengthy:
>
>      ###################### START ##############################
>
> I  have  always  believe  that  OT  intervention  and  goals must be a
> straight  and  direct  line.  In other words, what OT does MUST have a
> DIRECT  effect  on  the patient's occupational deficits. To accomplish
> this  intervention,  I've  sort  of  developed  an  "outline" which is
> primarily  based  on  the  Canadian Model of Occupational Performance.
> What  follows  is  a simplified model which helps establish the DIRECT
> LINE between goals and treatment:
>
>         1.  Help  the  patient figure out what they want or need to do
>         (i.e. occupation)
>
>         2.  Figure  out  what  is keeping the patient from doing their
>         identified occupations:
>
>                 a. Environmental
>                 b. Cognition
>                 c. Physical
>                 d. Social
>                 e. Emotional
>                         1. Fear
>                         2. Motivation
>
>         3.  Prioritize the above into those things that can be changed
>         and  THEN  GET  BUSY  CHANGING  THEM! Don't waste therapist or
>         patient time addressing those issues which can not be changed.
>
> Now  this  is simple and incomplete, but it works because outcomes and
> treatment  focus on occupation. Recently, it's been suggested, both on
> this  list  and in print, that quality OT must include occupation into
> treatment sessions. I do not feel that such an approach is mandated by
> AOTA's Framework, not is it always appropriate.
>
> Here  are  several passages from the OT Framework, Rev 2 collaborating
> this concept:
>
> {EVALUATION}
>
>         Occupation-based  activity analysis places the person [client]
>         in  the  foreground.  It  takes  into  account  the particular
>         person's [client's] interests, goals, abilities, and contexts,
>         as   well  as  the  demands  of  the  activity  itself.  These
>         considerations   shape  the  practitioner's  efforts  to  help
>         the...person  [client]  reach  his/her  goals  through
carefully
>         designed  evaluation and intervention. (Crepeau, 2003, p. 193)
>         (P. 651)
>
>         Analyzing  occupational  performance requires an understanding
>         of  the  complex  and  dynamic  interaction  among performance
>         skills,   performance  patterns,  contexts  and  environments,
>         activity demands, and client factors. (P. 651)
>
> {INTERVENTION}
>
>         The intervention process consists of the skilled actions taken
>         by  occupational  therapy  practitioners in collaboration with
>         the  client  to facilitate engagement in occupation related to
>         health and participation. (P. 652)

> [...]

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog
-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008