Diane, you could try engaging him in very basic ADL's, such as combing hair,
washing face, brushing teeth. This will focus on following one step commands,
engaging in ADL's, which would hopefully improve is self-worth, maybe some
neglect issues (where you would cue him to comb the left side of his head,etc.

~ Miranda ~

> From: spark...@rcn.com
> To: otlist@otnow.com
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 05:43:33 -0400
> Subject: [OTlist] Massive new CVA patient
>
> Hello, I have been given (along with 11 other patients I have) a new CVA
> patient. I have never worked with someone tis impaired and i don't know
> where to start. I am in a SNF and pt had been in an acute rehab for about a
> month prior for therapy. He is Dependent for all ADL's and
> transfers...sometimes hard to get his attention at all. Total left neglect.
> Trouble following simple commands. 1 finger sublux. Just not sure where to
> even begin. Goals are to increase attention to the left to perform ADL's
> but is this relistic at this point and what activites can I do with him that
> will encourge attention to left or attention to anything at all. Thanks
> Diane
>

> --
> Options?
> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com
>
> Archive?
> www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for HotmailĀ®.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_express:082009