In contrast to Ron, I think there are some things to be done to address
the neglect...and it is important to work on this, so that function can
become a reality. Positioning in the wheelchair (where the patient will
spend most of his day) is very important. Use of some type of arm board,
or support, so that the left arm has some weight bearing through the
shoulder (also helps with the shoulder problems), provides some
stimulation to this side of the body, and keeping the arm as much as
possible in the visual field of the patient help the patient regain
awareness of it.  Consistently encourage the patient to be responsible
for where his left arm/leg are, and to take care of those parts of his
body. Positioning of  the bed and in the bed is also important.  If
everything is kept to the right side in his room, and he is never
positioned where he has to look to the left, then the room is just a
place to be rather than the room itself being therapeutic. If he likes
to watch tv, and it is able to be moved...place it in his field of
vision and then day by day move it farther to the left. Encourage and
educate the family to provide stimulation from the left also...

I do agree that sitting balance and trunk control are the beginning of
a lot of function....so I would do a lot of work on basic bed mobility,
rolling, bridging, transfers, trunk control, balance, weight shift,
etc...all with functional components...while sitting you can practice
grooming, dressing, etc. that all challenge balance. You can also do
some higher level reaching tasks (without cones !)...by having him maybe
writing on a write-on wipe off board with his good hand while balancing
on the mat...and this can be encouraging the awareness of the left
also...weight bearing through the left arm/hand while sitting will help
with balance and increase awareness...basic NDT techniques are a lot of
what I would be doing...especially to facilitate the trunk control,
weight shift, balance, etc that will allow for better function...

Hope that helps..

Linda

Linda Stovall, OTR/L
lstov...@mhg.com
Program Manager
Memorial Hospital at Gulfport
Comprehensive Medical Rehabilitation Program
228-867-4179
228-867-5357 (fax)
228-883-8443 (beeper)
A CARF (Three-Year) Accreditation was awarded to MHG for the following
programs:
Inpatient Rehab - Adults, Adolescents, and Children
Inpatient Rehab- Stroke Specialty

>>> "Miranda Hayek" <mltaylo...@hotmail.com> 8/6/2009 6:05 AM >>>

Diane, you could try engaging him in very basic ADL's, such as combing
hair, washing face, brushing teeth. This will focus on following one
step commands, engaging in ADL's, which would hopefully improve is
self-worth, maybe some neglect issues (where you would cue him to comb
the left side of his head,etc.

~ Miranda ~

> From: spark...@rcn.com
> To: otlist@otnow.com
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 05:43:33 -0400
> Subject: [OTlist] Massive new CVA patient
>
> Hello, I have been given (along with 11 other patients I have) a new
CVA
> patient. I have never worked with someone tis impaired and i don't
know
> where to start. I am in a SNF and pt had been in an acute rehab for
about a
> month prior for therapy. He is Dependent for all ADL's and
> transfers...sometimes hard to get his attention at all. Total left
neglect.
> Trouble following simple commands. 1 finger sublux. Just not sure
where to
> even begin. Goals are to increase attention to the left to perform
ADL's
> but is this relistic at this point and what activites can I do with
him that
> will encourge attention to left or attention to anything at all.
Thanks
> Diane
>

> --
> Options?
> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com
>
> Archive?
> www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com

Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
HotmailĀ®.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/pe
rsonalize.aspx?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_express:082009